Welcome to Santa Cruz County’s Bicycle Courier Blog

I thought it would be great to have a place where Bike Couriers and Bike Riders could meet and talk, share stories, trade advice, and build an online community. I look forward to reading and writing our Courier stories, news, and comments.

Rick Graves

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Secrets to Longevity #4-Bikram Method Yoga


I first started doing Yoga as a child with my parents who practiced daily. I think my Dad took a certain perverse pleasure from scaring the be-jeezuz out of us with his dragon face/pose, the vision of his eyes bugging out still gives me shivers.
About a year and a half ago I was introduced to Bikram method yoga by my girlfriend Teale, and I have been practicing at least twice a week since.
Bikram method is twenty six postures designed to work every joint, muscle and organ of your body. You practice each posture twice for a ninety minute session in a room that is 105-115 degrees tempered with forty percent humidity, and boy do you sweat.
The extremes of the environment and the length of time that you hold some of the postures make for what Bikram calls a torture chamber, but here's what it has done for me:
When I first started I was completely defeated and humbled by the experience. It was the hardest thing I had ever done, and a year and a half later I have progressed, but it hasn't gotten any easier. Bikram takes my ego and squashes it, which helps make me a nicer person.
Keeping Yoga in my life has brought my mind and body closer together. I can mentally and physically manifest improvements in my spine that I know will keep me on the road for decades to come. The mental discipline it takes to hold standing head-to-knee for a full minute really has helped me be a more patient and compassionate person when people are trying me. My former chronic back pain has essentially disappeared, as my posture is slowly being pulled back into alignment after years of misuse.
A pro bike messenger must take preventative measures to stay on the road. Whether maintaining your bicycle or your body, a higher level of diligence is needed or you will suffer breakdowns and injury at the worst possible times.
I would recommend the Bikram Yoga method to anyone serious about taking stamina, meditation and overall good health to the next level. It is also an excellent way for bike messengers to keep their most important tool, their bodies, stretched and toned for long term performance.

For more info visit: http://www.bikramyogasantacruz.com/

or just get down there and sweat, the first week is only $15 and you can go as many times as you want.

Namaste-Rick Graves
photo by Poppy de Garmo

No comments: