Welcome to Santa Cruz County’s Bicycle Courier Blog

I thought it would be great to have a place where Bike Couriers and Bike Riders could meet and talk, share stories, trade advice, and build an online community. I look forward to reading and writing our Courier stories, news, and comments.

Rick Graves

Monday, October 28, 2013

Messenger Profile #11 Kevin (Squid) Bolger NYC



In honor of international messenger appreciation day (10-9) we are expanding our messenger profiles to include pro bike messengers from around the country and the world. As far as I'm concerned the best thing about the industry is the people in it and Kevin 'Squid' Bolger is one of my favorites. When we were riding the mean streets of NYC together in the 90's, Squid was the one putting on all the epic alleycat races like 'Apocolips NYC' and 'The Warriors' based on the classic 70's movie. Today he owns CycleHawk Messengers - NYC's premier messenger company, and lives with his wife and kids in Brooklyn. To me he exemplifies what a true messenger should be... Always ready to give ups to his fellow couriers and contribute to the community. Thanks Squid for all that you do! Peep his bio below:

'My name is Kevin Bolger (aka Squid), I am a Bike Messenger in New York City since 1992. I love my job and am pumped to say it has taken me around the world and then some!

Lucky to meet the most incredible, interesting, and real people doing this work, including Amy (my awesome wife!). I feel blessed to make a career out of it, and raising two crazy kids from working on a bike makes me feel great.
Have seen a lot of change over the years and technology has slimmed the work load considerably. Anyone who is a real go getter/adapter is still around and we are currently seeing a renewed interest in the industry from the tech sector.
Founded the New York Bike Messenger Foundation in 2004 which is a 501c3 Nonprofit that benefits workers hurt on the job and families of messengers who have died while working. Check us out at nybmf.org
I Believe we are here to help each other and it's up to us to make it through together. If I can help someone's day with a good deed, smile, or encouraging word that gives me great satisfaction. In my experience messengers are generous, hard working, life loving people. I'm Proud to be a part of this community and happy to see my friends/associates doing well!

If you ever need a package delivered in NYC hit me up at cyclehawk.com

Holler!'


--
http://cyclehawk.com/
http://nybmf.org/

No comments: